Sarah Espinosa is Residency Librarian at the Towson University Libraries in Towson, Maryland. Sarah has been an ACRL member since 2013, is a 2015 ALA Emerging Leader, and your ACRL member of the week for February 23, 2015.
1. Describe yourself in three words: Life-long learner.
2. What are you currently reading (or listening to on your mobile device)? I use my mobile device for creative writing, collaborating, personal organization, and networking. I read physical books and articles, and I’m currently reading Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie.
3. Describe ACRL in three words: Collaborative professional strength.
4. What do you value about ACRL? ACRL provides me with the vocabulary and context for professional advocacy. Using articles from ACRL publications and professional standards, I find myself better able to communicate why academic librarianship matters. I also value the opportunity to listen to, collaborate with, and learn from peers and mentors within the ACRL and especially the ACRL Maryland community.
5. What do you contribute to your campus? My role as a Residency Librarian allows me to take risks and devote attention to unique initiatives. In my two-year term, I have been able to engage new audiences, experiment with new tools, and pursue projects that support the University mission in lasting ways. One of these projects includes outreach to student organizations about contributing to history through donations to the Archives; another supports the initiative to map University curriculum to information literacy instruction.
6. In your own words: I appreciate the academic library environment because the research and teaching mission inspires innovation. Every librarian has the success of the student and research community as their goal, and as a result, they are constantly trying new things and improving existing services. The academic community thrives on collaboration and experimentation, and I love that energy.
Editor’s Note: Are you an ACRL member? Would you like to be featured as ACRL Member of the Week? Nominate a colleague? Contact Mary Jane Petrowski at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.