Nik Dragovic is Library Collections Assistant at New York University. Nik has been an ACRL member since 2014, is a 2015 ALA Emerging Leader, and your ACRL member of the week for February 16, 2015.
1. Describe yourself in three words: Dedicated, Enthusiastic, Ambitious.
2. What are you currently reading (or listening to on your mobile device)? I just finished Confessions of a Mask by Yukio Mishima as part of my membership in a new book club, and most of my leisure reading falls under the canon of twentieth century classics. Next on my list is Inherent Vice, prompted by the recent film. And I’m always trying to keep up with the latest issue of C&RL!
3. Describe ACRL in three words: Inspiring, Instructive, Empowering.
4. What do you value about ACRL? As a fledgling librarian, I value the strong framework that ACRL has established for compelling research in the myriad areas that the organization covers. Coupled with the strong sense of community and shared resources for its members, it has served as an essential knowledge base for me to draw on for guidance in everyday practice and in scholarly pursuits.
5. What do you contribute to your campus? I think some of the most important value that myself and my colleagues add to our institution is a spirit of curiosity and interdisciplinarity. I’m lucky to work in an environment where a massive scope and a broad assortment of cutting-edge research and programs meet cross-pollination among our staff and departments. A point of focus for me is to bring new knowledge and understandings back from conferences and professional development, and I think that priority is shared.
6. In your own words: I’m excited to be working in a time of rapid transformation for library services and careers. During my time in library school, coming to understand the new landscape of influences on and applications of librarianship was a major highlight. The channels we are building to strengthen and reinterpret our knowledge networks mean than librarians will continue to hold a flexible, comprehensive, jack-of-all-trades connotation.
Editor’s Note: Are you an ACRL member? Would you like to be featured as ACRL Member of the Week? Nominate a colleague? Contact Mary Jane Petrowski at email@example.com for more information.