Jennifer K. Sheehan is Exhibitions Manager at The Grolier Club in New York, NY. Jennifer has been an ACRL member since 2007, is the new editor of RBM, and is ACRL member of the week for September 22, 2014.
1. Describe yourself in three words: Tenacious, hungry, accommodating.
2. What are you currently reading (or listening to on your mobile device)? I spend a lot of time commuting on a crowded train, where I like to read on my iPhone, and popular fiction works pretty well for that. I recently finished R. J. Palacio’s Wonder. The story was beautiful and left me in tears at least twice. Sometimes I’ll mix it up with Italian language podcasts when I feel like I’m starting to get a little rusty. Professionally, I’ve been spending some time with Bamber Gascoigne’s How to Identify Prints for a course I took at Rare Book School over the summer.
3. Describe ACRL in three words: Engaged, evolving, stimulating.
4. What do you value about ACRL? I appreciate ACRL’s efforts to represent a wide variety of research libraries, librarians, and interest groups. “College and research libraries” is a pretty wide net to cast, and ACRL does a great job of representing the variety of sub-collections and populations found in these institutions, so that everyone can find a place to belong.
5. What do you as an academic librarian contribute to your campus? I bring a background in both special collections libraries and museums to a rather unique position that balances characteristics of both. I have the drive to see a complicated project through to completion, juggling a lot of moving parts, with the flexibility to balance the needs of multiple stakeholders.
6. In your own words: My current position as Exhibitions Manager resonates with my professional experience and my passions. I’ve always kept one foot in museums and the other in libraries. Now I get to work with both collections and with people, so I do feel like I get the best of both worlds.
Editor’s Note: Are you an ACRL member? Would you like to be featured as ACRL Member of the Week? Nominate a colleague? Contact Mary Jane Petrowski at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.