Nathan Hall is VTechWorks Librarian at the Virginia Tech Digital Library and Archives in Blacksburg, Virginia. Nathan has been an ACRL member since 2009 and is your ACRL member of the week for October 7, 2013.
1. Describe yourself in three words: Empathetic. Inquisitive. Diplomatic.
2. What are you reading right now (or listening to on your mobile device)? I have been a bit stalled on my reading since the recent birth of my second child, but I have been slowly reading Emmanuel Goldberg and His Knowledge Machine by Michael Buckland and re-reading Joseph Heller’s Catch-22 for the umpteenth time. I have on my immediate list Ulysses by Joyce, Goodbye to All That by Robert Graves, Little Brother by Corey Doctorow, and Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus by Wittgenstein. Lately I have mostly been listening to Gillian Welch, Billy Bragg and Wilco, Neil Young, and Hayes Carll. As a dad, I read a lot of Mo Willems. I really like The Curious Garden by Peter Brown, and I love the children’s music compilations For the Kids and For the Kids: Three! produced by Nettwerk Records.
3. Describe ACRL in three words: Collegial. Supportive. Advocative.
4. What do you value about ACRL? I value the opportunities for professional growth through service and research. I value the leadership and support of ACRL on national issues such as access to scientific data. I value the opportunities ACRL provides to network and connect with colleagues.
5. What do you, as an academic librarian, contribute to your campus? I support my campus with digital repository services and data management services. I also support grantsmanship and policy-craft.
6. In your own words: I enjoy academic librarianship because of the opportunities to speak with and learn from so many people who are much smarter than me. I am excited to be at a relatively early stage in my career during a time of extraordinary changes.
Editor’s Note: Are you an ACRL member? Would you like to be featured as ACRL Member of the Week? Nominate a colleague? Contact Mary Jane Petrowski at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.