Rhonda Huisman is Assistant Librarian and Liaison to the School of Education/Center for Teaching and Learning at Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis in Indianapolis, Indiana. Rhonda has been an ACRL member since 2004 and is your ACRL member of the week.
1. Describe yourself in three words: Ambitious, talkative, challenging.
2. What are you reading right now (or listening to on your iPod)? I am reading Everything is Illuminated by Jonathan Safran Foer, and Shakespeare, Einstein, and the Bottom Line: The Marketing of Higher Education by David L. Kirp. I have an eclectic mix on my iPod, (thanks to my 14-year old) including Dave Brubeck, Norah Jones, Family of the Year, Fleet Foxes, and NPR downloads of Wait, Wait… and Car Talk.
3. Describe ACRL in three words: Supportive, collaborative, evolving.
4. Why did you join ACRL? I felt it was necessary to further my understanding of the profession, to expand my network of colleagues, and to advance my career possibilities.
5. What do you value about academic or research librarianship? I value the space, people, and materials that make up an academic library. I love the ah-ha moments that students have, whether it’s at the reference desk, in the classroom, or during a consultation. It’s the best feeling in the world knowing that you made a difference in a student’s educational experience.
6. In your own words: When I started, my director often told me “No one ever died from a library emergency.” Now I find myself telling newer librarians the same thing. I’m proud to continue in the library tradition–my grandmother was a public librarian for over 30 years. It’s always interesting when you meet someone in the non-library world and you tell them you’re an academic librarian. They’re either very quiet, or say “I loved the library in college.” I never judge either one, I just want them to know the library is still here and kicking!
Editor’s Note: Are you an ACRL member? Would you like to be featured as ACRL Member of the Week? Nominate a colleague? Contact Mary Jane Petrowski at email@example.com for more information. ï»¿ ï»¿