Applications and nominations are invited for the position of Reviews Editor for ACRL’s peer-reviewed journal in special collections librarianship, RBM: A Journal of Rare Books, Manuscripts, and Cultural Heritage. The Reviews Editor has charge of the reviews published in the journal’s biennial issues, to ensure the journal provides qualified opinions of new publications and other scholarly resources relevant to academic librarians and archivists specifically involved in rare books, manuscripts, and cultural heritage.
Responsibilities include receiving and soliciting material for review, making assignments to qualified reviewers, and collating reviews to meet production schedules.
The Reviews Editor is a voting member of the RBM Editorial Board. They work closely with the journal editor, members of the Editorial Board, and ACRL production staff. The appointment as Review Editor is a three-year term; applicants must be a member of ALA and ACRL.
A nominal honorarium may be available for this position, pending final review of the RBM editorial budget.
Desired qualifications include:
· professional experience in academic libraries;
· experience as a reviewer for an academic journal;
· ability to identify, prioritize, and distribute materials for review in the journal;
· demonstrated ability to maintain and organize a widely scattered and diverse team of qualified reviewers;
· ability to manage the flow of materials from publishers to reviewers to production staff;
· excellent communication skills;
· ability to meet, and hold others to, deadlines; and
· familiarity with trends in cultural heritage institutions, higher education, and library and information science publishing.
Applications and nominations must include a statement of qualifications addressing the areas noted above and include a current CV. Application documents should be sent to RBM Editor Dr. Richard Saunders at email@example.com. The deadline for applications is November 30, 2019.
Finalists will be interviewed by conference call during December 2019. The appointment is made by the ACRL Publications Coordinating Committee (PCC) upon the recommendation of the RBM Editorial Board. The Reviews Editor will begin training and working with the incumbent immediately upon appointment by PCC prior to their three-year term of appointment beginning in July 2020.