Katherine S. Donaldson is a social sciences and education librarian at the University of Oregon in Eugene, OR. Katherine has been an ACRL member since 2014 and is your ACRL member of the week for March 13, 2017.
1. Describe yourself in three words: Curious, motivated, reflective.
2. What are you reading (or listening to on your mobile device)? I’ve been reading a few essays from The Intersectional Internet: Race, Sex, Class, and Culture Online, edited by Safiya Noble and Brendesha Tynes. I’m also currently reading IQ by Joe Ide and Without You, There Is No Us by Suki Kim.
3. Describe ACRL in three words: Collaborative, informative, discovery.
4. What do you value about ACRL? I value the many opportunities that ACRL provides to connect with other members of the academic library community through its sections, interest groups, and committees. As an early-career librarian, I have found that ACRL provides a wealth of resources for professional development. I appreciate that there are many opportunities for members to get involved at all levels and with different interest areas.
5. What do you, as an academic librarian, contribute to your campus? I am the UO Libraries primary liaison to the College of Education. This means that I get to work with a wide variety of undergraduate and graduate students, faculty members, and researchers with interests in teaching, learning, and social equity. I provide information literacy instruction, research consultations, and collection development services to support members of this community.
6. In your own words: I have found it to be very rewarding to work with students and faculty to support a community of learning and scholarship. No two days of work are ever the same and I’m always learning something new! It’s also been fulfilling to be part of a larger professional community that values information access, literacy, and intellectual freedom.
Editor’s Note: Are you an ACRL member? Would you like to be featured as ACRL Member of the Week? Nominate a colleague? Contact Mary Jane Petrowski at email@example.com for more information.