Carolyn Caffrey Gardner is Information Literacy Coordinator and Liaison Librarian at California State University, Dominguez Hills in Carson, CA. Carolyn has been an ACRL member since 2012 and is your ACRL member of the week for December 13, 2016.
1. Describe yourself in three words: Curious, engaged, advocate.
2. What are you reading (or listening to on your mobile device)? I’m currently reading Just Mercy: A Story of Justice and Redemption by Bryan Stevenson. With LA area traffic I constantly have podcasts in rotation. Some of my favorites are: Reply All, Popaganda, Song Exploder, and On the Media.
3. Describe ACRL in three words: Collaborative, educational, inspiring.
4. What do you value about ACRL? ACRL provides a myriad of opportunities for developing professional skills and relationships. I appreciate the wonderful conferences, engaging webinars, and all of the online publications ACRL produces from section blogs to peer-reviewed journals. ACRL is a key part of my own librarian journey and participating in Immersion in 2012 was a foundational instruction experience. I use the information I learned and reflect on it often.
5. What do you, as an academic librarian, contribute to your campus? As a librarian focused on information literacy, I facilitate teaching and learning in a lot of different ways. From the gritty mechanics of scheduling one-shots to in-depth collaborations with faculty on assignment design I support librarians and faculty in their teaching practices.
6. In your own words: I love that I’ve found a career that offers so much variety! At the heart of it librarianship is about communities, interconnectivity, and learning—what’s not to love?
Editor’s Note: Are you an ACRL member? Would you like to be featured as ACRL Member of the Week? Nominate a colleague? Contact Mary Jane Petrowski at email@example.com for more information.