1. Describe yourself in three words: Motivated, collaborative, thoughtful.
2. What are you reading (or listening to on your mobile device)? I am currently reading Everything I Never Told You by Celeste Ng. So far it is a great novel that touches upon family life, death, and diversity. The novel is set in the 1970s but many of themes, especially diversity, are still very relevant today.
3. Describe ACRL in three words: Innovative, supportive, engaging.
4. What do you value about ACRL? I value ACRL’s commitment and engagement with its members and the library profession as a whole. As an early career librarian, I was confused (and a bit scared!) about the inner workings of such a large professional organization as ALA. Yet, my involvement with ACRL has eased the transition from graduate student to information professional. Through ACRL, I found a great mentor, I have participated in meaningful and knowledgeable discussions, and I feel that I am part of an innovating organization.
5. What do you, as an academic librarian, contribute to your campus? As the Business Librarian in a medium-sized institution, I truly have the ability to connect more intimately with the students and faculty. I am very committed to their academic success and promote information literacy skills that will be relevant in their future careers. Since my position tends to be very narrowly focused, I make a great effort to be involved in the larger library environment and ensure that I am engaging with my fellow colleagues. Overall, I try to maintain a positive and collaborative attitude in everything I do.
6. In your own words: Recently, a student worker casually asked, “So, what do the librarians do when they are not on the desk?” I could not help but smile at this question. There are so many answers to the student’s question, but in short, life as an academic librarian is dynamic and rewarding. Librarians are always learning, teaching, solving, and connecting with others.
Editor’s Note: Are you an ACRL member? Would you like to be featured as ACRL Member of the Week? Nominate a colleague? Contact Mary Jane Petrowski at email@example.com for more information.