Ameet Doshi is Director of Service Experience and Program Design/ Subject Librarian for Economics and Public Policy at the Georgia Institute of Technology Library in Atlanta. Ameet has been an ACRL member since 2009 and is your ACRL member of the week for October 12, 2015.
1. Describe yourself in three words: Calm, receptive, focused.
2. What are you reading (or listening to on your mobile device? I’m a big music fan and have been listening to Calexico a lot recently, especially “Algiers.” The characters on that album are just so beautifully crafted. I also like podcasts and have been dialing up “Consilience with Pete and Charlie” and “4.33@Tech,” both locally-produced podcasts from Georgia Tech and worth checking out. As for reading, I am trying to make my way through a tome called “The Fall of Public Man” by Richard Sennett. It has been a struggle!
3. Describe ACRL in three words: Supportive, friendly, compassionate.
4. What do you value about ACRL? What I value most about ACRL is the organization’s general philosophy that if there is an academic library professional who has an idea or objective they want to explore, ACRL will help provide expert guidance, helpful support and resources to see that idea come to light.
5. What do you, as an academic librarian, contribute to your campus? I try to support my colleagues in our shared goal to improve the research, teaching and learning experiences for all communities at Georgia Tech and within the Atlanta community. I aim to make every library user feel like a VIP on every level of their encounter with our organization. Most importantly, I try to “walk around in the shoes” of our students and faculty to gain empathy and see the campus and the library from their perspective.
6. In your own words: It is a very powerful feeling to realize that I have chosen the right professional calling. Everything about the academic life appeals to my innate desire to bring light into darkness and uncover the hidden realities of the world through scholarly rigor. I treasure everything about working in an academic library from the mundane to the sublime. Specifically, my experience at Georgia Tech has been very inspiring and energizing. It is an incredibly innovative culture, with talented and supportive colleagues, and everyone always asking “what’s the next challenge?” I love it!
Editor’s Note: Are you an ACRL member? Would you like to be featured as ACRL Member of the Week? Nominate a colleague? Contact Mary Jane Petrowski at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.