The ACRL Women & Gender Studies Section (WGSS) is currently seeking applications to serve a two-year term (July 2013- June 2015) as the ACRL liaison to the National Women’s Studies Association (NWSA). Liaisons are responsible for outreach, education, and communication between NWSA and ACRL in order to form strong relationships and advance the interests of ACRL and NWSA.
Established in 1977, the National Women’s Studies Association has as one of its primary objectives promoting and supporting the production and dissemination of knowledge about women and gender through teaching, learning, research and service in academic and other settings.
Our commitments are to: illuminate the ways in which women’s studies are vital to education; to demonstrate the contributions of feminist scholarship that is comparative, global, intersectional and interdisciplinary to understandings of the arts, humanities, social sciences and sciences; and to promote synergistic relationships between scholarship, teaching and civic engagement in understandings of culture and society.
NWSA recognizes that women’s studies is broader than what happens in the classroom and acknowledges women’s centers staff as feminist educators. Campus-based women’s centers have a long history of working together with women’s studies to transform the curriculum, the campus environment, and society at large.
Through their scholarship and pedagogy our members actively pursue knowledge to promote a just world in which all persons can develop to their fullest potential–one free from ideologies, systems of privilege or structures that oppress or exploit some for the advantage of others. The Association has more than 2,000 individual and 350 institutional members working in varied specialties across the United States and around the world.
Deadline for Applications
Friday, May 17, 2013
Nominees must submit:
A letter of application articulating qualifications and a current vita to:
Jennifer Mayer, WGSS Chair (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Liaison attends the annual NWSA conferences
- Liaison submits an annual report to the ACRL Liaisons Council
- Liaison writes an article about their activities for the WGSS newsletter
- Liaison serves as ex-officio on the WGSS Executive Committee and ex-officio on the WGSS Research Committee.
- Current member of ACRL and WGSS
- Experience with or interest in women and gender studies
- Interest in coordinating activities to increase interaction between NWSA, ACRL, and WGSS
- Experience with or interest in outreach and advocacy related to women and gender studies.
- Financial support to attend NWSA Annual Conferences for the length of the two-year term if not funded by ACRL (Note: Liaison may apply for up to $1500 in conference funding from the ACRL Conference Grants Committee, but funding is not guaranteed).
- Excellent communication skills
- Record of serving WGSS and/or ACRL on committees, task forces, or in other roles.
- Current membership in NWSA
- Previous NWSA conference attendance or other involvement with NWSA.
Selection Process Timeline
- May 20 — 24, 2013: A subcommittee of the WGSS Executive Committee reviews submitted applications.
- May 28, 2013: WGSS Chair contacts successful candidate.
Questions? Please contact WGSS Chair, Jennifer Mayer: email@example.com