Alexandra Hauser is Instruction Librarian at the Defiance College Pilgrim Library in Defiance, Ohio. Alexandra has been an ACRL member since 2014 and is your ACRL member of the week for October 19, 2015.
1. Describe yourself in three words: Flexible, Driven, Inquisitive.
2. What are you reading (or listening to on your mobile device? American Gods by Neil Gaiman.
3. Describe ACRL in three words: Collaborative, Engaging, Innovative.
4. What do you value about ACRL? The people! We always tell our students that our most valuable and useful resource at the library is the staff. And the people of ACRL are no exception. From conferences to Immersion and everything in between everyone is so helpful and always striving for excellence and improvement of the profession.
5. What do you, as an academic librarian, contribute to your campus? I am the Instruction Librarian and since we are a small college that means I not only teach most of the information literacy and library sessions. I also coordinate the lesson plans and try to ensure students have the necessary IL skills to move through coursework. In this capacity, I am always asking myself, “What is it that I want the students to be able to do?” and trying to incorporate these research and IL skills into each interaction I have with them.
I also enjoy trying new efforts to reach students at their point of need and better help them with their information needs. This semester that has been working one night each week as “Dormbrarian” and providing reference services in the campus dormitories.
6. In your own words: I’m still very new to librarianship but I hope what I lack in years of experience I make up for with my love of students and enthusiasm for helping them understand and approach information and research in new ways.
Editor’s Note: Are you an ACRL member? Would you like to be featured as ACRL Member of the Week? Nominate a colleague? Contact Mary Jane Petrowski at email@example.com for more information.