Melissa Ringle is Curriculum Coordinator/Library and Learning Resources at Northwest Allen County Schools in Fort Wayne, Indiana. Melissa has been an ACRL member since 2014, is an ALA 2015 Emerging Leader and your ACRL member of the week for April 20, 2015.
1. Describe yourself in three words: Adventurous, energetic, and ambitious.
3. Describe ACRL in three words: Knowledgeable, inspiring, and insightful.
4. What do you value about ACRL? ACRL is an invaluable resource–it provides insight and guidance from seasoned veterans, impactful and meaningful research, abundances of knowledge and inspiration that renews my spirit and love of the library and informatics profession.
5. What do you as an academic librarian contribute to your campus? In August, I left my position as an Instructional/Reference Librarian at Indiana Tech to pursue a new adventure as the Curriculum Coordinator/Library and Learning Resources for Northwest Allen County Schools. It was a unique opportunity to nurture exploration and excellences in information literacy, critical thinking, and lifelong learning skills with 21st century learners in a K-12 environment. As an academic librarian, I am passionate about developing the skill sets students need to succeed in and outside of the classroom. My current position allows me to collaborate with faculty and staff to bridge the gap between information literacy skill development and information literacy skill expectations for college and the workforce, establishing a learning commons that supports course curriculum, promotes reading for enrichment, fosters lifelong learning and reinforces college and career readiness for students based on pedagogical innovation and best practices.
6. In your own words: As academic librarians, we have a vital role in the integration of information literacy across curriculum, and the strategic implementation of emerging technology into classrooms. It’s important that we make our voices heard.
Editor’s Note: Are you an ACRL member? Would you like to be featured as ACRL Member of the Week? Nominate a colleague? Contact Elizabeth Caris at email@example.com for more information.