Notice: Undefined variable: below_excerpt in /home/acrl/public_html/acrlinsider/wp-content/plugins/addthis/addthis_social_widget.php on line 1301
Sabrina Wong is Teaching & Outreach Librarian at Capilano University in North Vancouver, BC, Canada. Sabrina has been an ACRL member since 2014 and is your ACRL member of the week for January 17, 2017.
1. Describe yourself in three words: Engaged, energetic, curious.
2. What are you reading (or listening to on your mobile device)? I’m reading Viet Thanh Nguyen’s The Sympathizer. I heard him speak at the Asian/Pacific American Librarians’ Association (APALA) dinner at ALA this past year.
3. Describe ACRL in three words: Empowering, open, relevant.
4. What do you value about ACRL? As a emerging professional, ACRL offers me such a wide range of opportunities to learn and grow my skillset. I attended my first ACRL conference in 2015 and it was an exciting, slightly overwhelming, and altogether wonderful experience. At the time, I was an outreach and student engagement librarian and new to the profession, so I enjoyed connecting with other librarians doing the same work. I think ACRL’s strength comes from the diversity of its members.
5. What do you, as an academic librarian, contribute to your campus? I recently started as Teaching and Outreach Librarian at Capilano University. In this position, I design and teach a large number of undergraduate workshops and plan outreach events and initiatives for the library. I came into this role with some teaching experience, but I’ve spent the past few months learning from my colleagues and it’s transformed how I think about teaching and librarianship. Whether we teach in classes or at a reference desk, teaching is a fundamental library service, and these interactions with faculty and students are opportunities for librarians to share, connect, and learn.
6. In your own words: Life as an academic librarian is fun and challenging. While people may think that academic librarians just sit in front of their computers all day, a key part of being an academic librarian is working with people—getting to know them and building relationships.
Editor’s Note: Are you an ACRL member? Would you like to be featured as ACRL Member of the Week? Nominate a colleague? Contact Mary Jane Petrowski at email@example.com for more information.