Editor’s Note: This month we return to our occasional series profiling members of the ACRL staff. This month, we feature ACRL’s Conference Supervisor, Tory Ondrla. We’ll be highlighting one of our fantastic staff members each month or so moving forward. You can learn more about all the ACRL staff on the association website in our new staff bios.
1. Describe yourself in three words. Organized and enthusiastic (I can count the “and,” right?).
3. What was your background before coming to ACRL? I planned conferences for various professional groups, mainly gynecologists.
4. What do you do in your role as ACRL’s Conference Supervisor? I manage logistics for the ACRL Conference and professional development events. It means I do a lot of negotiating of hotel and convention center contracts and work on site selection, vendor contracts and managing audio-visual and catering execution. I also work with various member committees to help them facilitate their specific goals for events.
5. What’s your favorite thing about (or most memorable experience) working at ACRL? Every odd year the ACRL Conference itself is always my favorite, the execution and culmination of all that planning and seeing people enjoy what we have created for them. More recently – the FIRE SHOOTING SNAIL CAR (see picture above) we got for the RBMS Conference reception!
6. Fun facts about Tory: I was the Lynfred Winery 2009 Female Barrel Rolling Champion.
7. In your own words: When people ask me about my job, I always say that I am lucky to work with people I truly enjoy, and to work for people I really like. I’ve planned meetings for a lot of different types of groups (technology, healthcare, and industrial sector) but none of them have been as collectively wonderful as librarians. Kind, patient, understanding, and good hearted people who really care about what they do. It makes seeing the events we put together truly rewarding.