Chris Bulock is Electronic Resources Librarian at Southern Illinois University – Edwardsville in Edwardsville, Illinois. Chris has been an ACRL member since 2009 and is your ACRL member of the week for July 14, 2014.
1. Describe yourself in three words: Learning, persistent, open.
3. Describe ACRL in three words: Networks, resources, connections.
4. What do you value about ACRL? I value the connections with innovative colleagues. Participating in ACRL and reading College & Research Libraries helps me see problems in a new way and to find solutions I never would have thought of.
5. What do you as an academic librarian contribute to your campus? I manage the library’s electronic resources, which I hope benefits everyone on campus. I’m always pushing to make it easier for the university community to get to the resources they need, in a way that’s as intuitive as possible. I also participate heavily in service. I have been involved in program reviews and work with a student group that helps guide the functioning of the university center. The work I do at the state and national level is also in hopes that improvements in the profession will trickle down to our campus here.
6. In your own words: I was attracted to librarianship because of my time working on the reference desk as an undergraduate. I loved being able to answer the questions of students and faculty members, to show them new ways to find information, and to learn from passionate experts along the way. Now, I get the same feeling of satisfaction from my work with electronic resources (though I still do reference). If I’m doing my job right, then I’m able to facilitate learning for something like 14,000 people, making it easier for them to find information they might not have found otherwise; to know things they might not have known. Because our students and faculty have many opportunities to share their research, I’m also able to see the end results, to share their excitement, and to think about how I can better serve that community.
Editor’s Note: Are you an ACRL member? Would you like to be featured as ACRL Member of the Week? Nominate a colleague? Contact Mary Jane Petrowski at email@example.com for more information.
The ACRL Member of the Week feature will be taking a brief summer vacation for the next couple of weeks. We’ll return with more member profiles o