Marie R. Kennedy is Serials and Electronic Resources Librarian at the Loyola Marymount University William H. Hannon Library in Los Angeles, California. Marie has been an ACRL member since 2004 and is your ACRL member of the week for June 23, 2014.
1. Describe yourself in three words: Engaged lifelong learner.
3. Describe ACRL in three words: Connector, network, professional.
4. What do you value about ACRL? I still remember telling my colleagues after I returned from my first ACRL conference that I had found my tribe. The people I talked to at the conference were thinking about the same kinds of things happening at my own library and seemed to be honestly interested in how to improve/develop/create in order to better connect with patrons. When I think about ACRL, I consider it to be an organization that effectively connects librarians with similar interests and passions.
5. What do you as an academic librarian contribute to your campus? My work is in technical services, managing serials and electronic resources, but the work I do has a very public face. When I first began working at LMU, I focused on building the infrastructure to make our electronic resources work as seamlessly as possible, focusing on patron-facing features as the most important component of that effort. As the infrastructure has become solid I can now turn my attention to communicating about those resources, using marketing techniques and feedback mechanisms.
6. In your own words: As an academic librarian, I value being a practitioner in the field of librarianship and at the same time a questioner of our own practices. Most of my research is generated from observing how we do things in the profession and wondering if we could be doing something different or better. This kind of job is a dream for a person who is naturally curious and interested in how people interact with information.
Editor’s Note: Are you an ACRL member? Would you like to be featured as ACRL Member of the Week? Nominate a colleague? Contact Mary Jane Petrowski at email@example.com for more information.