Sara Zettervall is Associate to the University Librarian at the University of Minnesota in Minneapolis. Sara has been an ACRL member since 2011, is a 2014 ALA Emerging Leader, and your ACRL member of the week for June 2, 2014.
1. Describe yourself in three words: Collegial, adaptable, passionate.
2. What are you currently reading? I just finished Gooseberry Bluff Community College of Magic by David J. Schwartz, a fun and easy read from a local Minnesota author.
3. Describe ACRL in three words: Connective, supportive, necessary.
4. What do you value about ACRL? As someone who is just starting my career, I’ve been most aware of the opportunities for new librarians within ACRL (and ALA as a whole) to develop and display our skills. It take a long time and a lot of work to build up to being a full librarian within the academic system, and volunteering is a valuable path for demonstrating leadership and commitment to the profession.
5. What do you as an academic librarian contribute to your campus? I’m in a unique position in that I’m a librarian, but I’m not on the front lines. My primary focus while I’m at work is helping the University Librarian’s life run smoothly. This means that, in some respects, the staff of the University Libraries are my patron-equivalents. I need to have a sense of what’s going on with all of them – the library assistant on the desk, the curator doing outreach work, the manager looking out for a dozen liaison librarians – so that I can facilitate the Librarian’s communication with them and know where areas of special interest will be for her. I’ve only been in this position for eight months, and it’s been a steep learning curve but great for someone like me who wants to know how the organization functions as a whole.
6. In your own words: I love that academic librarians are so professionally engaged. I’ve seen it at both the state and national level – our people are motivated to connect with each other, share what we’ve learned, and plan for the future of librarianship.
Editor’s Note: Are you an ACRL member? Would you like to be featured as ACRL Member of the Week? Nominate a colleague? Contact Mary Jane Petrowski at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.