Member of the Week: Suzanne Bernsten
Suzanne Bernsten is Web Services Librarian at the Lansing Community College Library in Lansing, Michigan. Suzanne has been an ACRL member since 2010 and is your ACRL member of the week for April 7, 2014.
1. Describe yourself in three words: Dedicated, persistent, supportive.
3. Describe ACRL in three words: Forward-thinking, collaborative.
4. What do you value about ACRL? ACRL has given me the opportunity to continue learning beyond graduate school and to connect and share ideas with my peers.
5. What do you, as an academic librarian, contribute to your campus? The other day a student came to the Reference Desk and asked why he was being asked to pay for articles he found. I went to his computer to take a look and saw he had typed into Google – I need a 7 page article about psychology. I was able to get him started on his research and he could not believe what the Library had to offer. I work with a team of librarians at Lansing Community College to help students learn to be critical thinkers and to make them aware of all of the resources available to them. We do this with library instruction, working with students at the reference desk, and by collaborating with faculty
6. In your own words: I love being a librarian at a community college. I have the opportunity to learn new things every day. I help people of all ages and backgrounds work toward achieving their goals whether they want to become a nurse’s aide, continue on to a four-year college, or complete continuing education credits. I remember my realization as an undergraduate that I wouldn’t remember the many discrete facts I was learning, but if I knew how to find and evaluate information I would be prepared for the future. As an academic librarian, I hope to help students understand this as well.
Editor’s Note: Are you an ACRL member? Would you like to be featured as ACRL Member of the Week? Nominate a colleague? Contact Mary Jane Petrowski at email@example.com for more information.