Applications and nominations are invited for the position of book review editor of College & Research Libraries (C&RL), the scholarly research journal of ACRL. The book review editor will work closely with the editor, members of the Editorial Board, production staff and a team of reviewers to provide reviews of new publications pertinent to academic and research librarians. The book review editor will be appointed for an initial, three-year term and will be expected to shepherd the publication of a minimum of six reviews per C&RL issue for a total of a minimum of 36 reviews per calendar year. Applicants must be a member of ALA and ACRL.
- professional experience in academic libraries;
- experience as a reviewer for an academic journal;
- ability to identify, prioritize and distribute materials for review in the journal;
- ability to maintain and organize a team of qualified reviewers;
- ability to manage the flow of materials from publishers to reviewers to production staff;
- excellent communication skills;
- ability to meet, and hold others to, deadlines; and
- familiarity with trends in higher education and library and information science publishing.
Appointment will be made by the ACRL Publications Coordinating Committee (PCC) upon the recommendation of the C&RL Editorial Board. The book review editor will begin a three-year term of appointment immediately upon approval by PCC. A nominal honorarium may be available for this position, pending final review of the C&RL editorial budget.
Applications and nominations (including self-nominations), including a current CV and a statement addressing the nominee’s qualifications in the areas noted above, should be sent to:
Scott Walter / Editor, College & Research Libraries / firstname.lastname@example.org
The deadline for receipt of applications is April 21, 2014. Finalists will be interviewed by conference call during May 2014.