Member of the Week: Lian Ruan
Lian Ruan is Director of the Illinois Fire Service Institute Library at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign in Urbana, Illinois. Lian has been an ACRL member since 2000 and is your ACRL member of the week for March 31, 2014.
1. Describe yourself in three words: Passionate, determined, goal-oriented.
2. What are you currently reading (or listening to on your mobile device)? I’m reading Reflecting on the Future of Academic and Public Libraries , edited by Peter Hernon and Joseph R. Matthews (2013), and listening to Start with Why by Simon Sinek (2011).
3. Describe ACRL in three words: Excellence, professionalism, community.
4. What do you value about ACRL? I value ACRL for the vision and high standards it sets and the networking opportunities it provides for academic/research librarians.
5. What do you, as an academic librarian, contribute to your campus? As Director/Head Librarian at the University of Illinois Fire Service Institute, I work closely with my library team, which consists of a reference/user training librarian, archivist and metadata librarian, graduate assistants, and graduate students to provide library programs and information services to Illinois firefighters and first responders, researchers, and the general public. Our contributions help further the University’s mission in research, teaching, and public engagement.
6. In your own words: It’s critically important for me to be open-minded and keep abreast of current developments not only in the field of library and information science, but also in the associated fields of technology, business, management, and communications. It is equally important for me to sharpen my skills in leadership and teamwork to maximize the shared-vision and success that ultimately benefit the end users and communities we strive to serve.
Editor’s Note: Are you an ACRL member? Would you like to be featured as ACRL Member of the Week? Nominate a colleague? Contact Mary Jane Petrowski at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.