Member of the Week: Jeannette Pierce
Jeannette Pierce is Associate Director for Research and Information Services at the University of Missouri-Columbia. Jeanette has been an ACRL member since 2000 and is your ACRL Member of the Week for March 24, 2014.
1. Describe yourself in three words: Dedicated, engaged, collaborative.
3. Describe ACRL in three words: Librarians better together.
4. What do you value about ACRL? ACRL keeps me up-to-date on profession-wide initiatives, advocates on behalf of academic libraries, and challenges me to constantly evaluate and reinvent the services and support we provide our students, faculty, and staff.
5. What do you, as an academic librarian, contribute to your campus? First of all and, most importantly, I listen. I enjoy working collaboratively to advance services that support research, teaching, and learning.
6. In your own words: Part of the mission of my institution is “to produce and disseminate knowledge that will improve the quality of life in the state, the nation, and the world.” I am so fortunate to have joined a profession that allows me to work for organizations that preserve what is valuable from the past, contribute to current scholarship, and impact the future locally, nationally, and globally as part of community of scholars. When I step back from daily details of my work, I am often amazed that I am contributing to this grand mission. My roles have allowed me to work with smart, creative, passionate people, both in and out of the libraries. I include many students among those who have inspired me. The mission and values of our profession and the opportunity to work with outstanding colleagues has sustained me through all of the challenges I have faced over the years.
I am most fortunate to have a very supportive family and to have worked with many colleagues at different institutions who have all added so much to my professional life. People sometimes comment that I smile a lot a work. It’s true! I chose the best profession in the world. What’s not to smile about?
Editor’s Note: Are you an ACRL member? Would you like to be featured as ACRL Member of the Week? Nominate a colleague? Contact Mary Jane Petrowski at email@example.com for more information.