Member of the Week: Megan Lotts
Megan Lotts is Art Librarian at Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey in New Brunswick, New Jersey. Megan has been an ACRL member since 2012 and is your ACRL member of the week for January 27, 2014.
1. Describe yourself in three words: Creative, helpful, knowledgeable.
2. What are you listening to on your mobile device? Currently I’m reading books for the Rutgers honors summer reading program and just finished Age of Miracles by Karen Thompson Walker, Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline, and Toms River by Dan Fagin. For fun I just read David Sedaris’s latest book, Let’s Explore Diabetes with Owls and currently I am half way through Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Robert M. Pirsig. As far as music goes, I’ve been listening to Matthew Deer, Kings of Leon, the new Mazzy Star album, as well as some old school Rolling Stones.
3. Describe ACRL in three words: Inspiring, community, career development.
4. What do you value about ACRL? I value ACRL because I appreciate meeting and working with others who share common interests in librarianship and higher education. I enjoy the ACRL conference because I learn more about the innovative work being done in academic libraries.
5. What do you, as an academic librarian, contribute to your campus? As an Art Librarian/Reference Librarian it’s my goal to help cultivate creative literacy within the Rutgers University Libraries as well as share with the Rutgers community the importance of the library. I believe the library is the central nervous system on any college campus and I am one of the cheerleaders that helps connect students, faculty, and staff with all that the library has to offer.
6. In your own words: Being an academic librarian is a way of life for me. My position is exactly what I make it, and in the current climate of innovation and creativity in librarianship my job is very exciting. I take pride in helping students, faculty, and staff within my community and strive to make a positive impact on the Rutgers campus. My intent is to encourage a sense of curiosity and wonderment when engaging with the library.
Editor’s Note: Are you an ACRL member? Would you like to be featured as ACRL Member of the Week? Nominate a colleague? Contact Mary Jane Petrowski at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.