Member of the Week: Lori Tschirhart
Lori Tschirhart is Science Librarian at the University of Michigan Shapiro Science Library in Ann Arbor. Lori has been an ACRL member since 2007 and is your ACRL member of the week for August 26, 2013.
1. Describe yourself in three words: Curious, philosophical, game.
2. What are you reading right now (or listening to on your mobile device)? The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka and Numeric Data Services and Sources for the General Reference Librarian by Lynda M. Kellam with contributions from Katharin Peter.
3. Describe ACRL in three words: Enrichment, communication, opportunity.
4. What do you value about ACRL? I value the opportunities to engage and develop professionally with the ACRL community members. The association provides professional development opportunities, educational resources, networking, and promotes awareness of issues and ideas critical to our missions.
5. What do you, as an academic librarian, contribute to your campus? I connect students, faculty, staff, and members of the public with library resources, services, people, and ideas. Through my outreach and instruction, I hope that I contribute to enhanced information literacy and critical thinking skills. Also, I like to think that I save our campus community members precious time as I facilitate their acquisition of essential resources. Finally, though campus engagement, I contribute to a sense of community that enhances scholarship.
6. In your own words: When I pursued my MLIS, I never thought that I would become an academic librarian, but since I have made it my profession, I have been delighted to serve a serious and engaged community in a setting where I learn as much as I offer. The skills, responsibilities, and demands of each day are fluid, but I enjoy this career because it allows me to think creatively and sometimes solve problems.
Editor’s Note: Are you an ACRL member? Would you like to be featured as ACRL Member of the Week? Nominate a colleague? Contact Mary Jane Petrowski at email@example.com for more information.