Member of the Week: Betsy Wilson
Betsy Wilson is Dean of University Libraries at the University of Washington in Seattle, Bothell, and Tacoma, Washington. Betsy has been an ACRL member since 1987, is the winner of the 2013 Hugh C. Atkinson Award, and your ACRL member of the week for June 24, 2013.
1. Describe yourself in three words: Collaborative, open, connector.
2. What are you reading right now (or listening to on your mobile device)? I have three fabulous new University of Washington Press books on my stack to read – Roots and Reflections: South Asians in the Pacific Northwest (Bhatt and Lyer); Morris Graves: Selected Letters (Halper and Fong); and Pumpkin: The Curious History of an American Icon (Ott). Duffy’s Mercy is the most played tune on my iPod (but that’s another story).
3. Describe ACRL in three words: Foundational, flexible, future-oriented.
4. What do you value about ACRL? ACRL is the indestructible thread that has kept people, places, and ideas connected throughout my professional career
5. What do you, as an academic librarian, contribute to your campus? The future of our universities and colleges will be determined in large part by how we collectively respond to a globally networked world and anytime, anyplace expectations. Libraries are front and center in 21st century discovery and educating students for “a future we can’t even begin to imagine.” As dean of a university library, I have the privilege of working with colleagues engaged in pushing the boundaries of research, learning, and the public good. I see my role as amplifying the work of others, forging new partnerships, nurturing innovation, advancing diversity in all of its forms, and engendering future leaders.
6. In your own words: Throughout my career, I have been fortunate to work with some of the most talented leaders in higher education. What could be better than to work with others equally passionate about advancing intellectual discovery and enriching the quality of life by connecting people with knowledge?
Editor’s Note: Are you an ACRL member? Would you like to be featured as ACRL Member of the Week? Nominate a colleague? Contact Mary Jane Petrowski at email@example.com for more information.