Jessica Clemons is Instruction and Reference Librarian at the SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry F. Franklin Moon Library in Syracuse New York. Jessica has been an ACRL member since 2009, is a 2013 ALA Emerging Leader, and your ACRL member of the week for June 17, 2013.
1. Describe yourself in three words: Motivated, Balanced, Experimentalist.
2. What are you reading right now (or listening to on your mobile device)? I just finished reading A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness. Now I picked up Learning to Think Spatially. What I really need to do is start reading through my professional development journals which are piling up on my desk.
3. Describe ACRL in three words: Advocate, Networking, Learning.
4. What do you value about ACRL? ACRL is the epitome of an academic librarianship organization. It attempts to support academic librarians as we forge ahead together into the relatively unknown future. I particularly value the publications since if helps me notice the other great work my fellow academic librarians are involved in.
5. What do you, as an academic librarian, contribute to your campus? I love my job working and SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry. We have a very small staff here so I get to participate in a wide range of projects. Primarily I teach credit bearing classes, one-shots, manage our social media outlets, and help faculty and graduate students find grants.
6. In your own words: I remember a few years ago when I was searching for my first library job, I was really worried about the future of the academic librarian. Now more than ever I believe librarians are essential, although our job descriptions are changing and adapting to the needs of future scholars. Librarians need to be creative and adaptable while still holding true to the traditional library services. This can be very challenging but I enjoy having so many different opportunities.
Editor’s Note: Are you an ACRL member? Would you like to be featured as ACRL Member of the Week? Nominate a colleague? Contact Mary Jane Petrowski at email@example.com for more information.