Member of the Week: Shaun Akhtar
Shaun Akhtar is the 2012-13 Edward Connery Lathem ’51 Digital Library Intern at Dartmouth College in Hanover, New Hampshire. Shaun has been an ACRL member since 2012 and is your ACRL member of the week for June 10, 2013.
1. Describe yourself in three words: Collaborative, analytical, supportive.
2. What are you reading right now (or listening to on your mobile device)? I’m currently reading Close Up at a Distance: Mapping, Technology, and Politics by Laura Kurgan.
3. Describe ACRL in three words: Major, innovative, network.
4. What do you value about ACRL? The organization has provided a lot of opportunities for learning, sharing, and connecting. It’s been especially valuable in offering context to a new professional about the scope of activities taking place among and around institutions.
5. What do you, as a digital library intern, contribute to your campus? I’ve had the chance to assist my institution’s evolving digital library program by contributing to a wide range of projects, duties, and initiatives. We’re fortunate to have many remarkable collections, and it’s exciting to work toward making them more easily accessible and usable to support faculty, students, and the public at-large.
6. In your own words: I’ve really appreciated the opportunity to collaborate with experienced professionals on many valuable and challenging projects. The internship has proven a great venue for learning more about the library world and the technology being deployed within it. It has enabled me to develop many different skills, while also informing my perspectives on career pursuits and opportunities available to those with diverse interests in the digital realm. I look forward to future work within the field.
Editor’s Note: Are you an ACRL member? Would you like to be featured as ACRL Member of the Week? Nominate a colleague? Contact Mary Jane Petrowski at email@example.com for more information.