Member of the Week: Amanda Binder
Amanda Binder is Social Sciences Librarian at University of North Carolina at Charlotte in Charlotte, North Carolina. Amanda has been an ACRL member since 2009, is a 2013 ALA Emerging Leader, and your ACRL member of the week for May 6, 2013.
1. Describe yourself in three words: Engaged. Curious. Genuine.
2. What are you reading right now (or listening to on your mobile device)? I am reading Dreaming of Dixie: How the South Was Created in American Popular Culture by Karen Cox, a history professor at UNC Charlotte.
3. Describe ACRL in three words: Important. Visionary. Leader.
4. What do you value about ACRL? ACRL provides the infrastructure for professional development and networking that allows me to grow as a librarian. Especially valuable are the ACRL workshops, trainings, and publications that help me learn from and connect with other academic librarians.
5. What do you, as an academic librarian, contribute to your campus? One of the perks of working as a librarian in a university setting is that you get to serve many different roles on campus; I am sometimes a teacher, sometimes an advisor, and sometimes an event organizer. I like to think that in my traditional role as a research librarian I help students and faculty better connect to the resources that they need to be successful in their academic careers. Libraries have an opportunity and a responsibility to envision how we can be used as resources on-campus and I enjoy contributing to that conversation.
6. In your own words: As an academic librarian, I am engaged in a community that is dynamic, rewarding and ever-changing. The emergence of new library offerings and partnerships in universities, such as graduate fellowships and digital scholarship labs, is supporting students and faculty in new and creative ways. With more changes ahead, and a strong association behind us, I feel very lucky to be working in and contributing to this profession.
Editor’s Note: Are you an ACRL member? Would you like to be featured as ACRL Member of the Week? Nominate a colleague? Contact Mary Jane Petrowski at email@example.com for more information.