Patricia Iannuzzi is Dean of University Libraries at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas. Patricia has been an ACRL member since 1997, the 2013 ACRL Academic/ Research Librarian of the Year, and your ACRL member of the week for April 8, 2013.
1. Describe yourself in three words: Passionate, optimistic, visionary.
2. What are you reading right now (or listening to on your mobile device)? I read a lot of reports — which I save to IBooks to read while traveling, such as Assessing Student Learning: Evaluating Alternative Models, Using Multiple Methods by the Association of American Colleges and Universities (AACU). One non-fiction work on my IPad right now is Big Data: A Revolution That Will Transform How We Live, Work, and Think.
3. Describe ACRL in three words: Professional, nurturing, advocacy.
4. What do you value about ACRL? I value the spaces that ACRL creates for it members to network and learn from each other.
5. What do you, as an academic librarian, contribute to your campus? As Dean of Libraries, my most important role is to create the space where all library staff can contribute to the campus. My responsibility is to ensure that the vision is clear and shared, that the environment provides places for all to contribute to making it real, that all that we do contributes value to the university as educational partners, in support of research, and through community engagement. My role is to nurture, guide, support, and remove obstacles for staff so that they can succeed. One individual example is the strategic positioning of the Libraries as a full partner in our educational mission. Specifically at UNLV, library faculty have been at ground zero in the redesign of a new core curriculum and they are full partners with faculty in course design for the new curriculum.
6. In your own words: I have worked in academic libraries for 35 years and I wake up every day loving my job. How many people can say that? Higher education is facing its biggest challenge ever and I believe that it is libraries that can lead it into a space where it will continue to add value. Higher education needs us. Society needs us. Librarians need to value themselves in order to move confidently into that space.
Editor’s Note: Are you an ACRL member? Would you like to be featured as ACRL Member of the Week? Nominate a colleague? Contact Mary Jane Petrowski at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.