Member of the Week: Bonnie J. Smith
Bonnie J. Smith is Assistant Program Director for Human Resources at the University of Florida George A. Smathers Libraries in Gainesville, Florida. Bonnie has been an ACRL member since 2011, is a 2013 ALA Emerging Leader, and your ACRL member of the week for February 25, 2013.
1. Describe yourself in three words: Resourceful, curious, supportive.
2. What are you reading right now (or listening to on your mobile device)? Ahab’s Wife: Or, The Star-Gazer by Sena Jeter Naslund. My favorite genre is historical novels.
3. Describe ACRL in three words: Dynamic, relevant, network.
4. What do you value about ACRL? The opportunities for networking and sharing best practices provided through ACRL’s Personnel Administrators and Staff Development Discussion Group and listserv have been invaluable. ACRL also offers targeted well designed and delivered professional development opportunities that we often offer in a group setting to encourage dialogue among our staff.
5. What do you, as a human resources professional, contribute to your campus? As a human resources professional I hope to offer employees and managers consistent interpretation of policies and procedures, fair consideration, and guidance through employment changes. Through research and service I also contribute to the work of academic libraries and continue to grow as an HR professional.
6. In your own words: Working as a human resources professional and faculty member in an academic library has given me the opportunity to think strategically and broadly about the profession. Participation in conferences, research and service have brought we into a strong community of respected HR practitioners. These relationships are invaluable as we work together to strengthen procedures, skills and the organizational stability of the libraries we serve. I feel honored to be a part of the academic and research library community.
Editor’s Note: Are you an ACRL member? Would you like to be featured as ACRL Member of the Week? Nominate a colleague? Contact Mary Jane Petrowski at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.