Sarah K. Steiner is Honors, Social Work, and Virtual Services Librarian at the Georgia State University Library in Atlanta. Sarah has been an ACRL member since 2005 and is your ACRL member of the week for January 14, 2013.
1. Describe yourself in three words: Helper, teacher, flosser.
2. What are you reading right now (or listening to on your mobile device)? Right now I’m reading Death in the Truffle Wood by Pierre Magnan, The Wisdom of Psychopaths: What Saints, Spies, and Serial Killers Can Teach Us About Success by Kevin Dutton, and Hoaxes, Myths, and Manias: Why We Need Critical Thinking by Robert Bartholomew.
3. Describe ACRL in three words: Innovative, collaborative, comprehensive.
4. What do you value about ACRL? ACRL is a vibrant avenue to information and community in our profession. The opportunities it generates for knowledge sharing and teamwork make it a vital resource.
5. What do you, as an academic librarian, contribute to your campus? My most important contributions are friendly assistance and training in critical information use. As the library partner to two campus groups, the Honors College and the School of Social Work, I ensure that information literacy concepts and tiered library instruction are embedded into programs and courses. I’ve also had the opportunity to teach term-long, for-credit courses to dozens of incoming students. In these classes, we discuss the value and relevance that libraries and research skills have in students’ daily lives before and after graduation.
6. In your own words: I’m excited to see what the future of academic libraries will bring. I believe that we will continue to use assessment information, flexibility, creativity, and strong service orientation to show our students how the library continues to be a relevant destination in their lives for information access, collaboration, learning, and critical thinking resources.
Editor’s Note: Are you an ACRL member? Would you like to be featured as ACRL Member of the Week? Nominate a colleague? Contact Mary Jane Petrowski at email@example.com for more information.