Member of the Week: Margaret Heller
Margaret Heller is Digital Services Librarian at Loyola University in Chicago. Margaret has been an ACRL member since 2008 and is your ACRL member of the week for January 7, 2013.
1. Describe yourself in three words: Conscientious, goofy, thinker.
2. What are you reading right now (or listening to on your mobile device)? I just finished reading Joseph Anton, Salman Rushdie’s memoirs of life as a writer in hiding from a fatwa. One of the things I found so striking about that book is how important it was that his publisher was willing to make a stand. I worry about that in the future as publishers continue to merge.
3. Describe ACRL in three words: Standards, scholarship, education.
4. What do you value about ACRL? I appreciate all the standards that ACRL has developed for information literacy and faculty status for librarians. I also find the scholarship published by ACRL and the ACRL Conference to be of high quality and valuable to me as an academic librarian. Lastly, I value writing for the ACRL Tech Connect blog a great deal as it keeps me very connected to library technology news that’s important to know as an academic librarian.
5. What do you, as an academic librarian, contribute to your campus? On a day to day level, keeping the digital research resources available to the campus is of course a crucial part of my work. Beyond that, I work with another librarian on maintaining and promoting our institutional repository, which means educating faculty, for example, on author’s rights and open access. This has led to some important new partnerships, such as one with the campus Office of Sponsored Research Projects to make sure that faculty applying for federal grants have solid data management plans.
6. In your own words: I wanted to be a librarian since I was a kid, but I never anticipated that I could tie my interest in technology with my career in librarianship until library school. It’s a daily challenge and chance to learn, both of which are important to me even though some days I wish I had a chance to catch my breath.
Editor’s Note: Are you an ACRL member? Would you like to be featured as ACRL Member of the Week? Nominate a colleague? Contact Mary Jane Petrowski at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.