Member of the Week: John Watts
1. Describe yourself in three words: Creative. Theatrical. Curious.
2. What are you reading right now? Too Big to Know: Rethinking Knowledge Now That the Facts Aren’t the Facts, Experts Are Everywhere and The Smartest Person in the Room Is the Room by David Weinberger.
3. Describe ACRL in three words: Community. Leadership. Vital.
4. What do you value most about ACRL? ACRL has been an invaluable educational resource. The Immersion program made me a better teacher, the publications and initiatives make me more thoughtful about my work, and the conferences invigorate me with new ideas and camaraderie.
5. What do you value about academic or research librarianship? Working with a diverse community of students, scholars, and colleagues who motivate me to learn, improve, and reflect on my professional practice.
6. In your own words: I can’t imagine anything more rewarding than directly influencing students’ academic success. The opportunities I have every day to enhance student learning remind me why librarianship matters as a teaching profession, both in and beyond the classroom.
Editor’s Note: Are you an ACRL member? Would you like to be featured as ACRL Member of the Week? Nominate a colleague? Contact Mary Jane Petrowski at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.