Jennifer Castaldo is Electronic Resources Manager/Distance Education Librarian at Johns Hopkins University Sheridan Libraries Entrepreneurial Library Program in Baltimore. Jennifer has been an ACRL member since 2008 and is your ACRL member of the week.
1. Describe yourself in three words: Inquisitive, self-motivated, passionate.
2. What are you reading right now? I just finished The 19th Wife by David Ebershoff and I am about to start Garlic and Sapphires: The Secret Life of a Critic in Disguise by Ruth Reichl. I am a definite food lover and just recently finished up a six-week food writing course. Typically, I devour YA dystopian fiction books (think Hunger Games), so this is an odd month for me, but I am enjoying the variety.
3. Describe ACRL in three words: The best association.
4. Why do you value most about ACRL? Oh, there is so much. I love how every time I go to the conference I learn so many new things and come home with a bundle of ideas to share with my colleagues. I usually have a long list of items marked to follow up on when I get back. I can’t say that about all conferences, and this says something about our members. The ACRL community is innovative and collegial and I value the relationships that I have formed over the years.
5. What do you value about academic or research librarianship? It makes me happy to work with students who truly appreciate what we do. Through a partnership, I work with a team to run an online library for Excelsior College and our students are mostly adult learners taking courses and exams online. I look forward to going to work each day to help them get ahead in their careers and continue on the path of lifelong learning.
6. In your own words: I am fortunate that my current position is a perfect fit for me. Every day is different and I love that it keeps me on my toes. One minute I am signing a license for a database subscription, and the next I am answering a reference question for a student in a submarine serving active duty. The field of distance education librarianship continues to evolve and working at an online library is very exciting!
Editor’s Note: Are you an ACRL member? Would you like to be featured as ACRL Member of the Week? Nominate a colleague? Contact Mary Jane Petrowski at email@example.com for more information.