Member of the Week: Nancy Kirkpatrick
1. Describe yourself in three words: Determined, passionate, exhausted.
2. What are you reading right now? I am currently reading Success is Not an Accident by Tommy Newberry and The Leadership Secrets of Colin Powell by Oren Harari. I look forward to reading some fiction soon, including Stieg Larsson’s Millennium series and The Hunger Games.
3. Describe ACRL in three words: Interactive, cultivating, critical.
4. Why do you value most about ACRL? I value the multitude of resources available through ACRL, both in terms of people and networking, as well as online tools and literature that support my administrative duties.
5. What do you value about academic or research librarianship? I believe academic librarianship is the cornerstone of higher education. We provide the resources and information that students and faculty in all disciplines need to succeed; and if we do our jobs well, so do they.
6. In your own words: Prior to becoming an academic library director, I worked as an attorney and then an at-home mom. While I enjoyed those jobs (the latter much more than the former), I always longed to find my niche, and now I have. The myriad of experiences and responsibilities (from teaching to programming to budgets to collection development to committee involvement) mean that no one day is like the next. And working on a college campus, surrounded by people who are young and young at heart, keeps my enthusiasm level high. I sometimes feel as though I have won the career lottery, and I try to remember that on the more challenging days.
Editor’s Note: Are you an ACRL member? Would you like to be featured as ACRL Member of the Week? Nominate a colleague? Contact Mary Jane Petrowski at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.