Heidi Steiner is Distance Learning Librarian at Norwich University in Northfield, Vermont. Heidi is on Twitter at @heidisteiner, has been an ACRL member since 2009, and is your ACRL member of the week.
1. Describe yourself in three words: Sassy. Dedicated. Planner.
2. What are you reading right now (or listening to on your i-Pod)? I just started The Design of Everyday Things by Donald A. Norman because of a growing interest in user experience. Laughing is good for you so I am also working my way through Mindy Kaling’s Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me. I listen to a lot of NPR. My commute is 10 hours a week and NPR is the only radio station that comes in from the beginning to the end of the drive, plus it makes me feel smarter.
3. Describe ACRL in three words: Full of awesome.
4. Why do you value most about ACRL? ACRL is an amazing place to make connections and I very much value the opportunities to serve and contribute to the profession through the organization. The promotion of knowledge sharing through all of the ACRL blogs, C&RL, and C&RL News, especially now that they are open access, is important to me, as well.
5. What do you value about academic or research librarianship? Playing a role in shaping the experience and learning of our students and being a part of a University community are what I value most.
6. In your own words: There are so many interesting little niches in the profession and I am proud to be working the growing niche of being a dedicated librarian for distance learners. I love having my hands in lots of different things (technology, instruction, project planning, user experience, etc.) and this profession affords me that. And as much as I crank about how hard it is to keep up sometimes, it is definitely a rush to be part of a profession that always changing and developing. It is certainly a challenge in many ways, but one worth embracing and tackling.
Editor’s Note: Are you an ACRL member? Would you like to be featured as ACRL Member of the Week? Nominate a colleague? Contact Mary Jane Petrowski at email@example.com for more information.