1. Describe yourself in three words: Creative, Driven, Personable.
2. What are you reading right now (or listening to on your iPod)? Ask for It: How Women Can Use the Power of Negotiation to Get What They Really Want by Linda Babcock and Sara Laschever and Archives and Justice: A South African Perspective by Verne Harris. I’m also listening to Save Me, San Francisco by Train.
3. Describe ACRL in three words: Network, Opportunities, Professional.
4. Why do you value about ACRL? I value the ability to connect, to share, and to grow with my colleagues from across the country through ACRL.
5. What do you value about academic or research librarianship? I love academic librarianship and value the fact that I am able to teach and to help so many people through my work. Also, as an academic librarian, I am in an environment which is conducive to my personal intellectual growth and supports my experimentation with new ways of delivering services and instruction.
6. In your own words: Being an academic librarian is fantastic because I have the opportunity to teach, research, and serve within the wonderfully diverse community that is Cal State East Bay. I feel very fortunate that librarians on my campus are faculty members and that we are able to teach a 2-credit information literacy course that is required for graduation. I love learning with my students and we have a lot of fun in class. I mean, in what other position would I be able to incorporate Doctor Who, Einstein, and Nerdfighter references into class sessions on information literacy and life?
There’s always more to learn and to do as an academic librarian and that keeps me energized, even when it’s the end of the quarter and I have 30 finals to grade! Plus, the librarian community is super-nice which always makes going to conferences and meeting new people fun. You can find me between conferences on Twitter (@dwakimoto) and on The Waki Librarian.
Editor’s Note: Are you an ACRL member? Would you like to be featured as ACRL Member of the Week? Nominate a colleague? Contact Mary Jane Petrowski at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.