Member of the Week: Pearl Ly
Pearl Ly is Access Services and Emerging Technologies Librarian at Pasadena City College’s Shatford Library in Pasadena, California. Pearl has been an ACRL member since 2007 and is your ACRL member of the week.
1. Describe yourself in three words: Restorative, learner, achiever.
2. What are you reading right now (or listening to on your mobile device)? I’m reading Better: A Surgeon’s Notes on Performance by Atul Gawande and listening to old episodes of This American Life with the Android app.
3. Describe ACRL in three words: Engaging, informative, participatory.
4. Why did you join ACRL? I joined ACRL as a library school student because I knew I wanted to be an academic librarian and needed job hunting advice. It really helped to have ACRL mentors and to talk to future colleagues at the annual conference. I had a great job lined up before graduation!
5. What do you value about academic or research librarianship? Librarians teach information literacy both in and outside of the classroom. I value our non-traditional role as teachers — we meet students at their point of need, in-person and virtually, to enhance their academic success. Additionally, working in an academic setting provides me with the opportunity to learn new things working with our diverse student population, and also gives me the chance to experiment with emerging technologies to improve my work.
6. In your own words: My family fled Vietnam as “boat people” in the late 1970s and started a new life in the U.S. I am the first person in my family to finish college and graduate school. Because of this, I am committed to supporting student learning, especially with first generation and other non-traditional students. My vision for my academic library is to be the place on the campus where students want to be and where they go to get stuff done. I am pursuing a doctorate in educational leadership to transform undergraduate libraries into user-centered organizations.
Editor’s Note: Are you an ACRL member? Would you like to be featured as ACRL Member of the Week? Nominate a colleague? Contact Mary Jane Petrowski at email@example.com for more information. ï»¿