Member of the Week: John DeSantis
John DeSantis is Cataloging and Metadata Services Librarian at the Dartmouth College Baker-Berry Library in Hanover, New Hampshire. John has been an ACRL member since 1991 and is your ACRL member of the week.
1. Describe yourself in three words: Meticulous, introspective, cynical.
2. What are you reading right now (or listening to on your iPod)? Right now I’m reading Michal Witkowski’s Lovetown, a bestselling Polish novel that was recently translated into English. On my iPod I mostly listen to Cher, Bette Midler, Lady Gaga, and Dan Savage’s podcasts.
3. Describe ACRL in three words: Relevant, flexible, responsive.
4. Why did you join ACRL? I worked in an academic library before I became a librarian and had always seen myself working in academic libraries. When I joined ALA, ACRL seemed like the logical home for me in the organization, as I felt it would connect me to trends in the profession and allow me to meet other academic librarians outside my own institution.
5. What do you value about academic or research librarianship? I especially value the tendency of academic libraries to build large research collections and to enter into partnerships with peer institutions in order to make all of our resources available to researchers throughout the world. I also value the fact that academic libraries support the educational mission of their institutions through focused collection building.
6. In your own words: I have seen many changes over the past 20 years in academic librarianship. Even though the internet has completely revolutionized the way we perform our work and the services we now provide, I am struck by how many of the core values are still preserved. The gradual introduction of corporate culture and vocabularies into the workplace arena of academic libraries is to be lamented, but it has always been a stimulating and exciting environment, and I can’t imagine ever working anywhere else.
Editor’s Note: Are you an ACRL member? Would you like to be featured as ACRL Member of the Week? Nominate a colleague? Contact Mary Jane Petrowski at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.