Editor’s Note: For the month of January, we’re profiling student members of ACRL. For a limited time, ACRL membership dues for students are just $5.
Mara Lasky is an MA student in European and Mediterranean Studies at New York University and an MSLIS student at Long Island University in the LIU/NYU Dual Degree Program in New York, NY. Mara first joined ACRL in 2017 and is your ACRL member of the week for January 23, 2018.
1. Describe yourself in three words: Passionate, insightful, creative.
2. What are you reading (or listening to on your mobile device)? For pleasure, I’m currently reading Joan Didion’s Slouching Towards Bethlehem, and I’ve been listening to the album Ibn El Leil by Lebanese rock band Mashrou’ Leila. Otherwise, I’m reading a lot for my research papers and thesis.
3. Describe ACRL in three words: Service, scholarship, community.
4. What prompted you as a student to join ACRL? It seemed like the logical way to make connections as well as stay abreast of activities and developments in the field.
5. What are your career goals? How might ACRL help you achieve those goals? Given my background in French and area studies, I’d ideally like to work as a subject specialist and curator for European studies, Mediterranean studies, and/or romance languages in an academic library. I’ve also developed a keen interest in archival work and would like to find a position that combines subject expertise with a focus on archives. ACRL will be instrumental in helping me network when I’m ready to go on the job market.
6. In your own words: The changing landscape of academic librarianship means that today’s library and information science students are entering the profession at an exciting time—the increase of collection digitization projects and the interface of academic librarianship and the digital humanities are several developments of particular interest to me.
Editor’s Note: Are you an ACRL member? Would you like to be featured as ACRL Member of the Week? Nominate a colleague? Contact Mary Jane Petrowski at email@example.com for more information.