Member of the Week: Lorelei B. Rutledge
1. Describe yourself in three words: Motivated, curious, innovative.
2. What are you reading (or listening to on your mobile device)? I like to read a few different things at once. Right now, I am working on Naked Statistics by Charles Wheelan, a great introduction to statistical concepts, and Whispers Underground by Ben Aaronovitch, a London police procedural with a hint of the supernatural thrown in.
3. Describe ACRL in three words: Vibrant, engaged, community.
4. What do you value about ACRL? I love that ACRL gives me an opportunity to get to know and learn from other librarians. I really value the inspiration that I get from connecting with others and hearing about what they are doing. I also refer regularly to ACRL publications and appreciate the chance to learn from so many experts about best practices.
5. What do you, as an academic librarian, contribute to your campus? As the coordinator for our library residency, I do a lot of work to help bring in new librarians from underrepresented groups of all kinds to the University of Utah’s Marriott Library. Our residency gives us a chance to learn from bright and amazing new librarians, who in turn get to explore different areas of our library and learn from us. I also serve as the coordinator for our online reference services, so I spend a lot of time making sure students, faculty, and community members are getting the resources and expertise they need.
6. In your own words: I really love being part of a field where I can bring all of my varied interests to bear to support students, faculty, staff, and community members. I enjoy working with patrons to explore new ideas, find information, and develop new strategies to solve problems. I also love being around and learning from so many smart people with such great ideas.
Editor’s Note: Are you an ACRL member? Would you like to be featured as ACRL Member of the Week? Nominate a colleague? Contact Mary Jane Petrowski at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.