1. Describe yourself in three words: Dedicated, energetic, and resourceful.
2. What are you reading (or listening to on your mobile device)? I like to alternate between nonfiction and fiction. I just completed Men and Women of the Corporation by Rosabeth Moss Kanter, a 1977 study on power and gender dynamics in corporations. Now I am finally starting The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins.
3. Describe ACRL in three words: Community, ideas, and leading-edge.
4. What do you value about ACRL? I value ACRL’s commitment to being a thought leader in the space of academic and research librarianship. ACRL encourages a culture of sharing news and best practices, which is very important to me as a new professional.
5. What do you, as an academic librarian, contribute to your organization? I am in a very unique position. I currently serve as an associate librarian for Catalyst, a global nonprofit organization with a mission to accelerate progress for women in the workplace. In this role, I work with a team of librarians in Catalyst’s Information Center to deliver virtual reference to businesses, Catalyst staff, scholars, the media, and the general public. Additionally, I perform a wide range of tasks, including copyright and records management, writing statistical fact sheets and other knowledge products, and social media for the organization.
6. In your own words: I became a librarian because I love research and helping scholars with their research. I have been fortunate in my short career to have had experiences doing just that in both traditional and nontraditional settings. If I were to give advice to a new librarian or library school student, I would recommend trying new things—go for the job that excites and challenges you. Professional associations like ACRL are crucial in building the connections and resources that will lead to a varying and fulfilling career.
Editor’s Note: Are you an ACRL member? Would you like to be featured as ACRL Member of the Week? Nominate a colleague? Contact Mary Jane Petrowski at email@example.com for more information.