Member of the Week: Kathryn Miller
Kathryn Miller is Director of Libraries and Academic Success at Florida Polytechnic University in Lakeland, FL. Kathryn has been an ACRL member since 2014 and is your ACRL member of the week for February 22, 2016.
1. Describe yourself in three words: Innovative, creative, and adventurous.
2. What are you reading (or listening to on your mobile device)? I just finished reading Patrick Lencioni’s The Five Dysfunctions of a Team: A Leadership Fable. We read this as part of a team-building activity and learned a lot about trust, accountability, and harmony.
3. Describe ACRL in three words: Guiding, leading, and imaginative.
4. What do you value about ACRL? ACRL provides a base for innovative decisions; the organization provides guiding principles and validation for innovative decision-making.
5. What do you, as an academic librarian, contribute to your campus? As an academic librarian, I contribute ideas, support, and innovation to the active university environment. I am a cornerstone that balances traditional research with innovation in teaching and collaboration. I, along with my team of librarians, promote intellectual discovery in an innovative, user-centered learning environment while providing specialized resources and support opportunities for every student and scholar to connect, collaborate, and anticipate technological progress.
6. In your own words: Life as an academic librarian is disruptive. Disruptive in a fun, engaging, and challenging way. We are expanding our services. We are serving more students. We are the people and the location that, together, create a central campus hub for student success. We are demonstrating the benefits and necessity of academic librarians. We are disrupting the way people think about librarians and library service. We are guiding our profession to essential importance within twenty-first century academia.
Editor’s Note: Are you an ACRL member? Would you like to be featured as ACRL Member of the Week? Nominate a colleague? Contact Mary Jane Petrowski at email@example.com for more information.